The archaeological park and the LIMESEUM both focus on the fort that the Romans built roughly 1900 years ago, near today's village of Ruffenhofen. The area was never built on after this period. This fact is what enabled the monument, which consists of both the fort and parts of the related civilian settlement (vicus) to be preserved underground. Aerial photography and especially geophysical prospections have clearly proven this preservation. The Roman Park and the LIMESEUM view it as our responsibility to both protect the archaeological site and to provide the public with information about this World Heritage monument.